Friday July 1, 2016
Nov-29-2012 20:10TweetFollow @OregonNews
NUS Landmark Decision: Condemns Israel's Siege on GazaSalem-News.com
We must remember that Israels aggression against the Palestinians in Gaza continues as we speak.
(LONDON Refugee News Network) - On Tuesday 27th November The National Union of Students which represents 7 million students in Britain has made the landmark decision to condemn and call for an immediate end to the siege on Gaza by a unanimous vote of the NUS National Executive Council.
This huge breakthrough comes after years of campaigning within the NUS to shift its position.
Proposer of the Emergency Motion entitled Israels assault on Gaza must end, Aaron Kiely, NUS Black Students Officer said: ” [The]decision by the NUS NEC to support Palestinian human rights is a massive step forward for our national union. I am proud that the British student movement is united in fiercely condemning Israels murderous assault on Gaza which resulted in the killing of over 150 Palestinians, injured more than 900 Palestinians and killed 5 Israelis.
The ceasefire brokered by Egypt is very welcome indeed.
But we must remember that Israels aggression against the Palestinians in Gaza continues as we speak. The siege on Gaza, now in its 5th year, is nothing less than collective punishment of the 1.5 million Palestinians trapped on a tiny piece of land, in what the United Nations describes as an open air prison.
For the first time, NUS has sided with peace and justice by voting to condemn and call for an immediate end to the siege on Gaza after 5 years of sitting on the fence. We must build on this decision moving forward, and continue to show our solidarity with the Palestinian people until this siege is lifted, the occupation ended and justice is achieved.”
Full text of the Emergency Motion Israels assault on Gaza must end
NUS NEC believes:
1. Israel launched a military assault on Gaza, starting on Wednesday 14 November.
2. Israels assault has caused hundreds of casualties, including 19 Palestinians deaths, 6 of who were children and 3 Israeli deaths.
3. At the time of writing (Friday 16 November, 11am) there were numerous threats from the Israeli government and military to launch a ground invasion of Gaza. Such an escalation will lead to more casualties, death and destruction.
NUS NEC further believes:
1. The blockade of Gaza which has been imposed by Israel for 5 years, was recently described by United Nations Under Secretary General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator as an open air prison.
2. The British Prime Minister David Cameron stated in July 2010 that the people in Gaza are living under constant attacks and pressures in an open air prison. NUS NEC Resolves:
1. To condemn and call for an immediate end to Israel’s air strikes on Gaza and the killings of Palestinians.
2. To call for an immediate ceasefire.
3. To condemn and call for an immediate end to the siege on Gaza.
Special thanks to Refugee News Network
Articles for November 28, 2012 | Articles for November 29, 2012 | Articles for November 30, 2012
Sign Up Now!