Tuesday May 21, 2013
Hair Dryer Starts Fire in ApartmentSalem-News.com
The fire was determined to have been started by an electric hair dryer and caused approximately $13,000 smoke and fire damage to the apartment.
(SALEM, Ore.) - Salem Fire Department responded to a call for smoke in a four-story apartment complex Sunday just after 5:00 PM, at 2020 Center St. NE, #46. Salem Fire Spokesperson Chris Riffle says firefighters arrived to a two-story apartment complex and found light smoke coming from the doorway of an upstairs apartment.
"Upon entering, they determined that the smoke was coming from one of the two bedrooms. Firefighters quickly extinguished the fire and used a thermal imaging camera to ensure the fire had not extended beyond the bedroom wall."
Thermal imaging cameras allow a fire team to look "through" the smoke and flames to see if any people or animals are present. Riffle says the door to the bedroom had been shut, which aided in firefighters containing the fire to the one bedroom.
Some tenants of the complex told investigators that they were sitting outside the apartments when she smelled smoke. They called 911 as they heard a smoke detector going off in the upstairs apartment.
The renter, Brittney Church says she had left for work earlier this morning and has no renters insurance. An overnight guest, Megan Flatt, had left the apartment at about 9:00 AM, also heading out to work.
No injuries were reported. The other apartment tenants were allowed to return to their apartments. The fire was determined to have been started by an electric hair dryer and caused approximately $13,000 smoke and fire damage to the apartment.
Articles for May 12, 2007 | Articles for May 13, 2007 | Articles for May 14, 2007
|Contact: email@example.com | Copyright © 2013 Salem-News.com | news tips & press releases: firstname.lastname@example.org.|