Wednesday October 28, 2020
May-02-2007 14:32TweetFollow @OregonNews
Casualties of the USA Patriot Act and the War on Terror Forum Happens May 10thSalem-News.com
The Center for Social and Environmental Justice acts to fulfill Washington State University's land grant mission by engaging community capacities to address poverty, inequality, discrimination, and unequally borne environmental dangers.
(VANCOUVER, Wa.) - The Center for Social and Environmental Justice at Washington State University Vancouver presents a forum of experts and activists discussing, "Casualties of the USA Patriot Act and the ‘War on Terror'." The forum on civil liberties will be 7:00 PM to 9:00 PM MY 10TH, in the WSU Vancouver Administration Building, room 110.
Featured members of the forum will be:
- Brandon Mayfield, recently awarded $2 million in a lawsuit against the federal government for his wrongful arrest in connection with the 2004 Madrid train bombing.
- Tom Nelson, human rights activist and co-counsel representing Al-Haramain Islamic Foundation, Inc. and two of its lawyers in a warrantless wire tapping lawsuit against the federal government.
- Ashlee Albies, Chair of the Portland Chapter of the National Lawyers Guild; co-counsel in the Al Haramain case; co-counsel for the Center for Constitutional Rights in a similar challenge to the government's warrantless wiretapping program.
- Sam Kauffman, an attorney representing two Guantanamo detainees who have been imprisoned for five years without charge.
- Kayse Jama, human rights activist and Founder and Director of the Center for Intercultural Organizing.
The Center for Social and Environmental Justice acts to fulfill Washington State University's land grant mission by engaging community capacities to address poverty, inequality, discrimination, and unequally borne environmental dangers. For more information, visit vancouver.wsu.edu/programs/csejustice/.
WSU Vancouver is located at 14204 N.E. Salmon Creek Ave., east of the 134th Street exit from either I-5 or I-205. WSU Vancouver offers 14 Bachelor's degrees, nine Master's degrees and one Doctorate degree and more than 35 fields of study. Visit us on the Web at vancouver.wsu.edu.
Articles for May 1, 2007 | Articles for May 2, 2007 | Articles for May 3, 2007