Sunday October 22, 2017
Jul-14-2015 16:18TweetFollow @OregonNews
Leaburg Hydroelectric Project Historic District listed in the National Register of Historic PlacesSalem-News.com
The powerhouse was designed by Ellis Lawrence, founder of the UO school of architecture.
(LANE COUNTY, Ore.) - The Leaburg Hydroelectric Project Historic District in Lane County is among Oregon's latest entries in the National Register of Historic Places.
The Leaburg Hydroelectric Project was put into service in January 1930 and continues to generate electric power as part of the Eugene Water & Electric Board system, a municipally owned utility located in Lane County, Oregon.
It is located along approximately five miles of the McKenzie River in the vicinity of Leaburg, and consists of the dam and powerhouse; the reservoir, canal and tailrace; and Leaburg Village, built to house dam workers.
The Leaburg Hydroelectric Project was constructed between 1928 and 1930 and completed as originally envisioned in June 1950.
Designed by the Portland engineering firm of Stevens & Koon, the facility is significant for its engineering design, incorporating innovative technological features such as the Broome Self-Closing Sluice Gate and three 100'-long roller gates.
It is also significant for its art and architecture. The founder of the University of Oregon school of architecture, Ellis Lawrence, designed the powerhouse, and the bas relief panels on the building were created by the nationally prominent sculptor Harry Camden Poole.
The powerhouse is considered one of the finest examples of Art Deco architecture used in an industrial setting in Oregon.
Oregon's State Advisory Committee on Historic Preservation recommended the site's nomination in their February 2015 meeting.
The Leaburg Hydroelectric Project Historic District is only the second property in the Leaburg area to be listed in the National Register, the first being the Old McKenzie Fish Hatchery Historic District.
The National Register is maintained by the National Park Service under the authority of the National Historic Preservation Act of 1966.
More information about the National Register and recent Oregon lists is online at www.oregonheritage.org.
Source: Oregon Parks and Recreation Dept.
Articles for July 14, 2015 |