Wednesday August 21, 2019
Dec-22-2009 14:22TweetFollow @OregonNews
Candle Caused Fatal Fire at Assisted Living CenterSalem-News.com
In the five-year period from 2004 through 2008, there were 584 candle-related fires in Oregon resulting in 14 civilian deaths, 71 civilian injuries, 22 firefighter injuries and estimated property losses of nearly $16 million.
(TUALATIN, Ore.) - After hours of meticulous investigation at the Park Place Assisted Living Center in Tigard, a Tualatin Valley Fire and Rescue investigator has determined that yesterday's fatal fire was caused by a candle.
TVF&R Communications Officer Brian Barker, says the investigator spent most of yesterday processing the scene and interviewing witnesses.
"He learned that a candle was last seen lit in the room of origin several hours before the fire was reported. The fire began in the area of a chair where it is likely that the 60 year old woman was sleeping."
Barker says TVF&R would like to remind the public that any candle is a fire hazard and should be treated with extreme caution.
Barker says residents need to be on guard and not make irreversible mistakes. The bottom line he says, "Never go to sleep with a lit candle and never leave a lit candle unattended."
According to the Oregon State Fire Marshal's Office, in the five-year period from 2004 through 2008, there were 584 candle-related fires in Oregon resulting in 14 civilian deaths, 71 civilian injuries, 22 firefighter injuries and estimated property losses of nearly $16 million.
TVF&R suggests these safety tips for using candles.
•Extinguish all candles when leaving the room or going to sleep.
•Keep candles away from combustibles
•such as clothing, curtains, decorations, holiday trees, or paper.
•Use candle holders that won't tip over easily, can catch dripping wax, and are made of materials that won't burn.
Articles for December 21, 2009 | Articles for December 22, 2009 | Articles for December 23, 2009