Friday December 6, 2019
Apr-20-2009 07:23TweetFollow @OregonNews
Letter to the Editor Supports Single Payer Healthcare ReformLinda Mowry, Chair of the Canby Area Democrats
"The development and implementation of a national single payer healthcare system will also promote job growth by removing the cost of healthcare burden from businesses."
(CANBY, Ore.) - Letter to the Editor:
We feel compelled to write concerning national single payer healthcare reform. The current model of healthcare in this country is expensive, ineffective and clearly not working.
Change to an alternate system is essential. This is also an attempt to correct misinformation on the subject of single payer healthcare. The following is a summary of the main elements of the proposed bill by the U.S. Senate:
· Patients go to any doctor or hospital of their choice
. The program is paid for by combining current sources of government health spending into a single fund with modest new taxes amounting to less than what people now pay for insurance premiums and out-of-pocket expenses.
· Comprehensive benefits include coverage for dental, mental health and prescription drugs.
· While federally funded, the program is to be administered by the states.
· By eliminating the high overhead and profits of the private, investor-owned insurance industry, along with the burdensome paperwork imposed on physicians, hospitals and other providers, the plan saves at least $400 billion annually which is enough money to provide comprehensive and quality care to all.
· Community health centers are fully funded giving the 60 million Americans now living in rural and underserved areas access to care.
· To address the critical shortage of primary care physicians and dentists, the bill provides resources for the National Health Service Corps to train an additional 24,000 health professionals.
The development and implementation of a national single payer healthcare system will also promote job growth by removing the cost of healthcare burden from businesses.
We hope you will join us in our support of this sweeping change which is of the utmost importance to our country.
Linda Mowry, Chair of the Canby Area Democrats
Articles for April 19, 2009 | Articles for April 20, 2009 | Articles for April 21, 2009