Sunday October 22, 2017
SNc Channels:

Search
About Salem-News.com

 

Apr-16-2006 16:28printcomments

Fire Evacuates Salem Retirement Home

Nobody was injured during the ordeal as staff and firefighters evacuated over 200 people.

fire scene
Photo Courtesy: Bill Holmstrom/Salem Fire

(SALEM) - Over 200 residents and their guest were evacuated from Lancaster Village Retirement at 4138 Market Street NE for approximately 1 hour Sunday while fire fighters contained and extinguished a fire that broke out in the facility's mechanical room.

Salem Fire Spokesman Bill Holmstrom says the first alarm came in at 12:27 PM sending 3 Engines, 1 Ladder Truck, and a Battalion Chief to the scene.

"The first arriving firefighters reported flames and smoke coming from the exterior front door of the mechanical room. A second and third alarm was called at 12:31 PM, bringing additional apparatus and fire fighters to the scene."

Fire crews along with Lancaster Village staff started to evacuate all occupants of the structure. The firefighters were able to contain the fire to the mechanical room.

The fire was determined to have been started by an electrical cord that overheated due to combustibles being placed on top of it. Over the years, the cord started to heat up and ignited the combustibles.

Damage estimates were not available at the time of this release. No injuries were reported due to the fire.

Holmstrom says safety has to come first, "Salem firefighters want to remind our community, placing anything on an electrical cord is very dangerous and has the extreme possibility of starting a fire."




Comments

Internal Comments are Closed on this story.


[Return to Top]
©2017 Salem-News.com. All opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Salem-News.com.


Articles for April 15, 2006 | Articles for April 16, 2006 | Articles for April 17, 2006
Since 1985, Tattoo Mike is one of the most reputable tattoo artists in Oregon.

Fully licensed for Medical and Recreational Cannabis!



Donate to Salem-News.com and help us keep the news flowing! Thank you.