Wednesday October 28, 2020
SNc Channels:

Search
About Salem-News.com

 

May-02-2007 12:06printcomments

Family of Four Survives Fire; 100 Chicks Lost

A warming lamp for the chicks being placed too close to combustibles is most likely the cause of the fire.

jefferson fire rig
Salem-News.com

(JEFFERSON, Ore. ) - A family of four are very, very lucky.

At 12:42 AM this morning, Pete DeJager noticed that a shed next to his renter's home located at 3052 Wintel Rd. west of Jefferson was fully engulfed in flames.

The fire was already melting the siding on their single wide mobile home as the family slept.

Mr. DeJager notified the family and they evacuated.

Jefferson Fire District firefighters from the Talbot Fire Station were on scene of the fire within minutes and were able to knock down the blaze.

The fire from the shed had spread to the outside of the house. The home suffered smoke damage and minimal water damage.

The residents of the home, Jose and Shelly Herrera and their two children, were displaced and spent the night elsewhere.

The shed contained a supply of building material and also chickens.

Approximately 100 chicks were destroyed in the fire.

According to Division Chief Troy Jurgens, a warming lamp for the chicks being placed too close to combustibles is most likely the cause of the fire.

The home and shed are insured.

The property content loss amount was not available.

Fifteen firefighters from Jefferson were on scene and there were no injuries reported.

The Jefferson Volunteer Firefighter Association made a contribution to the family from their burn-out fund.

American Red Cross was also contacted for assistance.




Comments Leave a comment on this story.
Name:

All comments and messages are approved by people and self promotional links or unacceptable comments are denied.



The Editor May 7, 2007 2:44 pm (Pacific time)

Shelly,

we offer our sincere apology for having that wrong and you should see the correction reflected shortly.

And please let us know if your family is doing OK, or if we could run a follow-up story to help.

Thanks,
Tim King
Salem-News.com


shelly herrera May 7, 2007 2:39 pm (Pacific time)

this story on the chicken shed fire is about my family but you have my name wronge it is not sharon it is shelly herrera thank you

[Return to Top]
©2020 Salem-News.com. All opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of Salem-News.com.


Articles for May 1, 2007 | Articles for May 2, 2007 | Articles for May 3, 2007
Donate to Salem-News.com and help us keep the news flowing! Thank you.

Sean Flynn was a photojournalist in Vietnam, taken captive in 1970 in Cambodia and never seen again.


googlec507860f6901db00.html
Annual Hemp Festival & Event Calendar

Support
Salem-News.com: