Friday December 9, 2022
Jul-29-2015 20:25TweetFollow @OregonNews
High Toxin Levels Found in Klamath County Water BodiesSalem-News.com
Health advisory on Upper Klamath and Agency lakes extended downstream to Keno Dam.
(PORTLAND, Ore.) - The health advisory issued July 28 for Upper Klamath and Agency lakes is being extended downstream to Keno Dam. An additional sample collected from the Link River just before it enters Lake Ewauna at the north end contained toxins at levels that could be harmful to health.
The advisory issued July 28 now includes Upper Klamath and Agency lakes, the Link River downstream to Lake Ewauna and the Klamath River downstream to Keno Dam.
The original advisory was due to toxins at levels that could pose a risk to human health in Upper Klamath Lake, located just north of Klamath Falls along Highway 97 in Klamath County.
Continuous cold water conditions in Pelican Bay have prevented blue-green algae from growing there, so Pelican Bay is not included in this advisory.
Routine water monitoring by the United States Geological Survey (USGS) and United States Bureau of Reclamation has confirmed the presence of blue-green algae toxins. These toxins, called cyanotoxins, are present at concentrations that can be harmful to humans and animals.
In areas covered by the advisory, swallowing or inhaling water droplets should be avoided. Drinking water directly from areas under an advisory is especially dangerous. Skin contact with the algae can also cause rashes in individuals with sensitive skin.
Oregon Public Health officials advise campers and other recreational visitors that toxins cannot be removed by boiling, filtering or treating the water with camping-style filters.
People who draw in-home water directly from areas under advisory are advised to use an alternative water source because private treatment systems are not proven effective at removing algae toxins. However, public drinking water systems can reduce algae toxins through proper filtration and disinfection.
If people on public water systems have questions about treatment and testing, they should contact their water supplier.
Oregon health officials recommend that people who choose to eat fish from waters where algae blooms are present remove all fat, skin and organs before cooking, because toxins are more likely to collect in these tissues.
Public health officials also advise people to not eat freshwater clams or mussels from areas under advisory and that Oregon Department of Fish and Wildlife regulations do not allow the harvest of these shellfish from freshwater sources. Crayfish muscle can be eaten, but internal organs and liquid fat should be discarded.
Exposure to toxins can produce symptoms of numbness, tingling and dizziness that can lead to difficulty breathing or heart problems, and require immediate medical attention.
Symptoms of skin irritation, weakness, diarrhea, nausea, cramps and fainting also should receive medical attention if they persist or worsen. Children and pets are at increased risk for exposure because of their size and level of activity.
The public will be advised when the concern no longer exists.
With proper precautions to avoid water contact, people are encouraged to enjoy activities such as camping, hiking, biking, picnicking, fishing and bird watching. Boating is safe as long as speeds do not create excessive water spray, which could lead to inhalation risk.
For health information or to report an illness, contact the Oregon Health Authority at 971-673-0400.
OHA maintains an updated list of all health advisories on its website. To find out if an advisory has been issued or lifted for a specific water body, visit www.healthoregon.org/hab and select "algae bloom advisories", or call the Oregon Public Health Division toll-free information line at 1-877-290-6767.
Source: Oregon Health Authority
Articles for July 28, 2015 | Articles for July 29, 2015 |