Monday February 17, 2020
SNc Channels:



Jul-05-2009 23:25printcomments

Man Gored to Death by Bull in Oregon City

A family patriarch was killed by a 1200 pound bull‏ that threatened rescuers and attacked a second man, a neighbor, who barely escaped with his life.

Bull that killed man in Oregon City, 7-5-09
Bull that killed man in Oregon City shown while in the field alive, and after a sniper brought it down with a single round.
Photos courtesy: Jim Strovink/ Clackamas Sheriff's Office

(OREGON CITY) - A 1200 pound bull attacked and killed a man Sunday around 4:38 p.m. during a family get together in Oregon City. Detective Jim Strovink with the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office, says 66-year old Aurgliano Paulino Martinez-Sierra was killed by the massive bull while attending to his farm animals east of Oregon City.

Strovink says the tragedy took place as an estimated 30 or more extended family and friends gathered on Sunday, to visit and dine at the family residence of 36-year old Sabino Amando Martinez-Sierra; located at on South Springwater Road in Oregon City, Oregon.

"Shortly before the dinner hour celebration, Aurgliano Paulino Martinez-Sierra, the father of Sabino Amando Marinez-Sierra, went to the field to attend to the animals by providing food and water. This large parcel of land has a number of farm animals; including, a three-year-old, 1200 pound bull."

Strovink continued, "After an estimated 45-minute prolonged absence, family members became concerned with the extended time Aurgliano Paulino Martinez-Sierra required to attend to the animals. A family member went to the field to investigate and located the deceased 66-year old, Aurgliano Paulino Martinez-Sierrra gored to death in the field."

Tragedy Almost Strikes Twice Clackamas Fire District #1 responded to the scene with members of the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office Patrol Division.

Strovink said, "Upon arrival, the deceased was examined and reported to have displayed obvious signs of being brutally attacked, gored and killed by the suspect 1200 pound, massively horned bull."

He says that at first, Clackamas County Sheriff's Patrol and emergency personnel were able to access the deceased to examine the body and proceed with the initial phase of this death investigation.

"However, after a short period of time, a neighbor and friend of the deceased came into the field to assist the on scene emergency personnel with the bull - who had become increasingly more agitated."

Strovink says that the bull had been maintaining a safe distance from the workers, initially, but it was becoming increasingly aggressive and threatening to the attending rescue personnel on scene.

The Good Samaritan neighbor is identified as 61-year old Michael Howard McDonald of Oregon City according to Strovink.

"McDonald recognized the threat the animal was to investigators and attempted to distract this threatening animal; consequently, the bull charged and attacked McDonald. This 1200 pound bull actually had McDonald on the ground at one point. With good fortune, this man was extremely fortunate and spry enough to disengage from the animal and run to safety."

A deputy witnessing the action said of neighbor Michael McDonald: "This neighbor was real lucky – he was in real jeopardy – I had my gun drawn, but unable to take the fatal shot at the attacking animal safely; I was running out of options! This man is very fortunate to have escaped harm and walk away safely from this attack."

Strovink says that in the opinion of the deputies on scene, it seemed readily apparent that the increasingly agitated animal was not going to allow emergency personnel and the Clackamas County Deputy Medical Examiner to proceed safely with the investigation of the deceased.

"This animal would not allow investigators access into the field near the body. At one point during the investigation, the animal broke through a fence and continued to cause greater alarm to those in attendance."

He says the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office on-duty supervisor summoned a Special Weapons and Tactical Team member to the scene; equipped with a high-caliber sniper rifle. With permission granted by the owner of the animal – the animal was instantly shot and killed. A butchering company was summoned by the family to salvage this estimated 1200 pounds of beef.

"With this animal threat removed, the Clackamas County Deputy Medical Examiner was able to proceed with the investigation and dignified removal of the deceased from the property," Strovink said.

Members of the Trauma Intervention Program responded to the scene to attend to the emotional needs of the family and friends who were in attendance at the residence.

Comments Leave a comment on this story.

All comments and messages are approved by people and self promotional links or unacceptable comments are denied.

[Return to Top]
©2020 All opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of

Articles for July 4, 2009 | Articles for July 5, 2009 | Articles for July 6, 2009
Special Section: Truth telling news about marijuana related issues and events.

Donate to and help us keep the news flowing! Thank you.

Tribute to Palestine and to the incredible courage, determination and struggle of the Palestinian People. ~Dom Martin