Wednesday October 28, 2020
SNc Channels:



Aug-11-2006 09:13printcomments

Armed Standoff in Memaloose State Park West of the Dalles

Photo courtesy: Oregon State Police

(MEMALOOSE) - A 12-hour standoff with an armed man involving Oregon State Police, Wasco County Sheriff's Office and FBI at Memaloose State Park Campground west of The Dalles ended Friday morning without anyone being injured.

A man and a woman were taken into custody but their names are being withheld pending positive identification and further investigation.

Thursday at approximately 5:00 PM, Wasco County Sheriff's deputies and Oregon State Police troopers were at Memaloose State Park Campground located about eight miles west of The Dalles along Interstate 84 on an unrelated matter.

While at the campground, officers were checking a suspicious vehicle parked in a camping space with an approximate 27-foot recreational trailer behind it.

While an OSP trooper and WCSO deputy were attempting to get the attention of anyone in the trailer, a man inside armed with a handgun pointed it at the officers who retreated. With the assistance of other officers and State Park personnel, about 60 camping spots were evacuated.

Additional officers, including a SERT team from The Dalles Police Department, responded.

Upon arrival, The Dalles SERT members established containment until OSP SWAT arrived about 8:00 PM and took over containment. OSP and FBI negotiators established contact with the man who was accompanied by an adult female and three children ages 10, 8, and 1.

During the night, negotiators continued communication efforts to end the standoff without incident. FBI SWAT members also arrived and were preparing to replace OSP SWAT members when, at about 4:30 AM, the man told negotiators they would come out.

The woman and three children were first to come out, followed by the man at about 4:50 AM. Investigators believe they knew one another but no information is being released regarding their names until later today following additional investigation and approval by detectives.

Several firearms were recovered.

State Park campers who were evacuated were allowed back to their campsites at about 6:20 AM. Most of the displaced campers stayed in their vehicles or slept outside at the rest area next to the campground entrance.

A joint investigation is continuing involving Oregon State Police and Wasco County Sheriff's Office.


Comments are Closed on this story.

[Return to Top]
©2020 All opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect those of

Articles for August 10, 2006 | Articles for August 11, 2006 | Articles for August 12, 2006

Sean Flynn was a photojournalist in Vietnam, taken captive in 1970 in Cambodia and never seen again.

Donate to and help us keep the news flowing! Thank you.

Annual Hemp Festival & Event Calendar

The NAACP of the Willamette Valley