Wednesday June 19, 2013
ISI Sponsored Group Threatens to Block UN Mission to BalochistanAhmar Mustikhan Special to Salem-News.com
Balochistan - the world capital of enforced disappearances
(OCCUPIED Balochistan) - The leader of Voice for Baloch Missing Persons, Nasrulllah Baloch, has voiced his anguish over the Diffa-i-Pakistan Council threat of a long march against the arrival of U.N. Working Group on Enforced or Involuntary Disappearances mission in Balochistan.
The D.P.C., widely suspected of being a front of the infamous Inter-Services Intelligence agency, had vowed that it would not allow the U.N. mission to visit Balochistan - the world capital of enforced disappearances.
"The D.P.C. has announced its long march against U.N. working group’s arrival in Balochistan at the behest of secret agencies," Mr Baloch said, adding "We condemn the threat in strongest possible terms."
The two-member U.N. team consisting of French lawyer Olivier de Frouville, who is the Chair-Rapporteur, and member Osman El-Hajjé arrived in Pakistan on September 10.
Mr. Ugo Cedrangolo, Secretary of the Working Group, and Ms. Alia El-Khatib from the Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights are also accompanying the mission.
The team had been requesting Pakistan for a visit for more than three years now.
Pakistan's highest ranking judge, lazy-eyed supreme court chief justice Iftikhar Chaudhry refused to meet the team, saying the matter was being heard in the supreme court. Like the military involved in the enforced disappearances of Baloch political activists, Chaudhry is an ethnic Punjabi.
Chaudhry is widely accused of playing second fiddle to the Pakistan military GHQ by independent lawyers in Pakistan.
Addressing a joint press conference with his comrade Qadeer Reki, Mr. Baloch said the V.B.M.P. had also expressed reservation about the appointment of retired justice Javed Iqbal as the head of judicial commission on "missing persons" -- a misnomer for victims of enforced disappearances.
Justice Iqbal gave the United Nations WGEID a misleading figure of only 26 victims of enforced disappearances.
In the last two years, more than 400 Baloch victims have been killed and dumped by the Pakistan Military Intelligence and Inter-Services Intelligence after they were abducted by the Frontier Corps on the military general's orders.
Mr. Baloch complained that they have been given only two hours to meet with the WGEID team.
The U.N. mission will meet with the V.B.M.P. leaders on September 15.
Mr. Baloch's uncle Ali Asghar Bangulzai was abducted more than 10 years ago and nothing is known about his whereabout while Mr. Qadeer Reki son Jalil Reki was killed more than two years after he was forcibly disappeared and his body dumped. The two cases were lodged with the WGEID.
First published by the Examiner: http://www.examiner.com/article/i-s-i-sponsored-group-theatens-to-block-un-mission-to-balochistan
Articles for September 12, 2012 | Articles for September 13, 2012 | Articles for September 14, 2012
|Contact: email@example.com | Copyright © 2013 Salem-News.com | news tips & press releases: firstname.lastname@example.org.|